Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Amethyst (I'm holding dreams of you)

AMETHYST


The earliest known VIOLET UK song.
Released in November of 1993 in instrumental form, 
and lovingly chosen by hide as the OP to X JAPAN concerts, 
where this masterpiece shined... right up until the Last Live.

The song was given new life in 2002.
We got lyrics added to the mix thanks to Daughter's vocal performance at the Classical Concert at Tokyo International Forum.

In 2005 we were treated to a live recording of that performance on the 22nd track of EMII (in typical VUK cryptic fashion, the album ended at track 9..and Amethyst kicked in at 22..)
...symbolic of 9.22 ... the 2nd coming of the 'EPIC WAIT':) 


Around the same time in a magazine interview, YOSHIKI spoke of the VIOLET UK debut album
containing only 2 ballads, the rest leaning more to the heavy end of the scale. 
Let's assume Amethyst took up 1 ballad slot. With the other anyone's guess.. 
L'arme? Sonnet155? Angel?

Anyway back to the song... 
So what does Amethyst STUDIO ver. sound like? This (Maybe):
(Piano and synth only...kicks in at about the 1:10 mark..although start from 1:00 for a laugh)

However, 12-13 years can do a lot to a song.
Amethyst could have updated digital effects thrown into the mix, 
much like the Last Song, Scarlet Love Song, or even the recent Golden Globes theme.
The lyrics may have also been changed.

For now we have nothing to go on...
so I'll end here with the lyrics as I hear them:

Amethyst (lyrics '05)

You were only a whisper away but I can ('t) touch you heart
If the words aren't enough to bear your soul I would give you the moon
You were always shining sun or rain, like a Violet stone
I close my eyes but you never fade, you never disappear

I a feel alone
Can't you see me standing on the verge of blue
I'll be watching all the stars till they are gone
Should I know nothing could make me miss you less

Oh I've been waiting for you to tell me what is love
I don't know how to be loved, how to be by your side
Morning light shines in my room
I'm holding dreams of you
It may take no less than this pain but I can't stop loving you

Feel my heart
You have never known that you have all of me
Every time I see you I'm falling in love
I can't live a lie, I can't live without you

Oh I've been waiting for you to tell me what is love
I don't know how to be loved, how to be by your side
Morning light shines in my room,
I'm holding dreams of you
It may take no less than my life, but I can't stop loving you

Song/lyrics: YOSHIKI
Vocals: as performed live by Daughter



No comments:

Post a Comment